Aloo Chaat Recipe is a popular Indian street food dish made from boiled and fried potatoes that are tossed in spices and served with various condiments. It is a delicious and spicy snack that is typically served as an appetizer or a side dish. The main ingredients in Aloo Chaat are boiled and fried potatoes, which are seasoned with spices such as cumin, coriander, chaat masala, red chili powder, and amchur (dried mango powder). The dish is usually served with a squeeze of lemon juice and topped with fresh cilantro and other toppings such as chopped onion, sev, or boondi. The spices and condiments used in Aloo Chaat vary based on regional and personal preferences, but the dish is known for its tangy and spicy flavor, making it a popular and satisfying food enjoyed by people of all ages.
Here’s a recipe for a simple and delicious Aloo Chaat Recipe
Aloo Chaat Recipe Ingredients
- 4 medium-sized potatoes
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp amchur (dried mango powder)
- Salt, to taste
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp cilantro, chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped (optional)
- Sev or boondi (crunchy fried gram flour noodles) for topping (optional)
Read also: Mysore Bonda Recipe
Aloo Chaat Recipe Steps
- Boil the potatoes in a pot of water until they are cooked but still firm, about 10-15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and let them cool.
- Cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- In a pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and let them sizzle for a few seconds.
- Add the boiled potatoes to the pan and stir to coat them with the oil and spices.
- Add the coriander powder, chaat masala, red chili powder, amchur, and salt, and mix well.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, until the spices are well incorporated and the potatoes are lightly browned.
- Squeeze the lemon juice over the potatoes and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot with chopped onion, sev, or boondi on top (optional).
Aloo Chaat Recipe Nutrition
The nutritional value of Aloo Chaat Recipe will vary based on the ingredients used and the cooking method. However, here is a rough estimate of the nutrition per serving (based on 4 servings, approximately 200 g):
Calories: 150-200 calories Protein: 3-4 g Fat: 9-12 g Carbohydrates: 20-25 g Fiber: 2-3 g Sugar: 2-3 g Sodium: 400-500 mg
It’s worth noting that the above nutritional information is an estimate and the actual values may vary based on the specific recipe and cooking method used. Additionally, Aloo Chaat can be high in fat and calories, especially if it is deep-fried, so it’s best to enjoy it in moderation as part of a balanced diet. If you’re looking for a healthier alternative, you can try baking or roasting the potatoes instead of deep-frying them, or using less oil and lower-fat condiments in the dish.
To summarize, Aloo Chaat Recipe is a popular Indian street food dish made from boiled potatoes that are diced and fried, then seasoned with spices, chaat masala, lemon juice, and chili powder. Additional ingredients like onion, tomato, and coriander can also be added to taste. The dish can be served hot and is typically garnished with cilantro, sev, and tamarind chutney. This dish is a delicious and flavorful snack that can be enjoyed any time of day.