Amritsari Fish Recipe is a popular Indian dish that originated in the city of Amritsar in Punjab, India. It consists of boneless white fish fillets that are marinated in a blend of spices, flours and yogurt, and then deep-fried until they are crispy and golden brown on the outside, while still tender and juicy on the inside. The fish is usually served with a side of mint chutney or tamarind chutney, and is typically enjoyed as a snack or appetizer. The blend of spices used in the batter gives the fish a distinct flavor and aroma that is sure to tantalize your taste buds.
Here’s a recipe for a simple and delicious Amritsari Fish Recipe
Amritsari Fish Recipe Ingredients
- 500g boneless white fish fillets, cut into large pieces (such as cod, tilapia or haddock)
- 1 cup chickpea flour (besan)
- 2 tablespoons rice flour
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ajwain seeds (carom seeds)
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2-3 cups oil, for frying
Read also: Ambur Star Biryani Recipe
Amritsari Fish Recipe Steps
- In a large bowl, mix together the chickpea flour, rice flour, red chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala, turmeric, ajwain seeds, and salt.
- Add the ginger-garlic paste, yogurt, and lemon juice to the dry ingredients and mix until a smooth batter is formed.
- Add the fish pieces to the batter and mix well, making sure each piece is well coated with the batter.
- Heat the oil in a deep pan or wok over medium-high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, gently place the fish pieces in the oil and fry until they are golden brown and crispy, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the fish pieces from the oil and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Serve the Amritsari Fish hot with a side of mint chutney or tamarind chutney.
- Enjoy your Amritsari Fish
Amritsari Fish Recipe Nutrition
Here’s the approximate nutrition information for one serving (200g) of Amritsari Fish Recipe made using the recipe provided:
- Calories: 450
- Protein: 30g
- Fat: 24g
- Carbohydrates: 30g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 4g
- Sodium: 600mg
Please note that the exact nutrition information may vary based on the specific type of fish used and the amount of oil absorbed during frying. Additionally, this dish is high in fat and calories due to the deep frying process, so it should be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
Amritsari Fish Recipe is a delicious and flavorful Indian dish that is typically enjoyed as a snack or appetizer. While it is high in calories and fat due to the deep-frying process, it can be enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. Additionally, it provides a good source of protein and some fiber, depending on the exact recipe used.