Awadhi Chicken Biyani Recipe is a classic Indian rice dish that originated in the Awadh region of Uttar Pradesh. It is a flavorful and aromatic biryani that is made with basmati rice, tender pieces of bone-in chicken, and a blend of spices that are common in Awadhi cuisine. The dish is typically prepared in layers, with the chicken and rice cooked separately and then combined to create a rich and complex flavor profile. In this recipe, the chicken is marinated in yogurt and a blend of spices before being cooked with onions, garlic, and ginger. The rice is soaked, drained, and then cooked with saffron-infused milk, fried onions, and additional spices. The cooked chicken is then layered with the cooked rice, creating a flavorful biryani that is garnished with fresh cilantro and mint leaves. The result is a delicious and satisfying meal that is perfect for special occasions or a weekend dinner. The spices used in the recipe add warmth and depth of flavor, while the tender chicken and fragrant rice make for a filling and comforting meal.
Here’s a recipe for a simple and delicious Awadhi Chicken Biyani Recipe
Awadhi Chicken Biyani Recipe Ingredients
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 lbs bone-in chicken, cut into pieces
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1/2 cup ghee or vegetable oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp ginger paste
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp saffron strands
- 1/4 cup milk
- Salt, to taste
- 4 cups water
- Chopped fresh cilantro and mint leaves, for garnish
Read also: Apollo Fish Recipe
Awadhi Chicken Biyani Recipe Steps
- Rinse the basmati rice under cold water until the water runs clear. Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk the yogurt until smooth. Add the chicken pieces and mix until well-coated with the yogurt. Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the ghee or oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and fry until they are golden brown. Remove half of the onions and reserve them for later.
- Add the minced garlic and ginger paste to the pot and fry for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the cumin seeds, coriander powder, garam masala, turmeric, and red chili powder to the pot. Stir well and cook for another minute.
- Add the chicken and yogurt mixture to the pot. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- In a small bowl, soak the saffron strands in warm milk.
- Drain the soaked rice and add it to the pot with the chicken. Stir well and add the saffron milk, reserved fried onions, and salt to taste. Add 4 cups of water and stir well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid. Cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the rice is fully cooked and the chicken is tender.
- Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and mint leaves and serve hot.
- Enjoy your delicious Awadhi chicken biryani
Awadhi Chicken Biyani Recipe Nutrition
Here’s an approximate nutrition breakdown for a serving of Awadhi Chicken Biyani Recipe, assuming the recipe yields six servings:
- Calories: 670
- Protein: 38g
- Fat: 28g
- Carbohydrates: 68g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 490mg
Please note that these values are approximate and can vary depending on the specific ingredients and cooking method used. The dish is relatively high in calories and fat due to the use of ghee or oil and chicken with bone. However, it is also a good source of protein and carbohydrates. The use of spices such as ginger, garlic, cumin, and coriander in the recipe provides various health benefits such as anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, and antioxidant properties. It’s best to enjoy this dish in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
In conclusion, Awadhi Chicken Biyani Recipe is a flavorful and aromatic dish that is rich in protein, carbohydrates, and important nutrients. The dish is made with a blend of spices that provide various health benefits and is typically prepared with basmati rice, tender pieces of bone-in chicken, and ghee or vegetable oil. While the dish is relatively high in calories and fat, it is a good source of nutrition when enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. As with any food, the specific nutritional content of the dish may vary depending on the recipe and cooking method used.
Leave a Reply