Batata Vada Recipe is a popular street food snack in India, known for its crispy exterior and soft, spicy potato filling. It is made by mixing boiled and mashed potatoes with a blend of spices, onions, green chilies, and coriander leaves, which is then shaped into balls and coated in a gram flour batter. The coated balls are then deep-fried to a golden brown, resulting in a crispy outer layer and a fluffy, flavorful center. Batata Vadas are usually served with chutney and are commonly enjoyed as a snack or as part of a larger meal. They are known for their versatility and can be enjoyed as an appetizer, a side dish, or as a filling in sandwiches or chaats.
Here’s a recipe for a simple and delicious Batata Vada Recipe
Batata Vada Recipe Ingredients
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, boiled and mashed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger-garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons coriander leaves, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/4 teaspoon amchur powder (dry mango powder)
- Oil for deep-frying
- For the batter:
- 1 cup gram flour (besan)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Water, as needed
Read also: French Fries Recipe
Batata Vada Recipe Steps
- In a large bowl, mix together the mashed potatoes, onion, green chili, ginger-garlic paste, coriander leaves, salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and amchur powder.
- Divide the mixture into 8-10 equal portions and shape each portion into a ball.
- In another bowl, whisk together the gram flour, salt, red chili powder, baking soda, and enough water to form a batter with a medium consistency.
- Heat the oil in a deep-frying pan.
- Dip each potato ball in the batter, making sure that it is well coated, and then gently drop it into the hot oil.
- Fry the vadas until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes on each side.
- Remove the vadas from the oil with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- Serve the hot and crispy Batata Vadas with green chutney or tamarind chutney.
- Enjoy your delicious Batata Vadas
Batata Vada Recipe Nutrition
The nutritional value of Batata Vada Recipe will depend on the ingredients used and the size of the serving. However, here is a rough estimate of the nutrition per serving (assuming 1 serving is 2 Batata Vadas, approximately 80g):
- Calories: approximately 250-300 calories
- Fat: approximately 15-20g
- Saturated Fat: approximately 3-5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: approximately 300-400mg
- Carbohydrates: approximately 30-35g
- Fiber: approximately 2-3g
- Sugar: approximately 2-3g
- Protein: approximately 5-7g
It’s important to note that Batata Vada is a deep-fried snack, and therefore, it is high in calories and fat. Consuming Batata Vada in moderation is recommended to maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
In conclusion, Batata Vada Recipe is a popular and delicious snack in India, known for its crispy exterior and soft, spicy filling. It is made from boiled and mashed potatoes mixed with spices, onions, green chilies, and coriander leaves, and then coated in a gram flour batter and deep-fried to perfection. While it is a tasty snack, it is high in calories and fat due to the deep-frying process, and therefore, it should be consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet. Regardless, Batata Vada remains a popular and much-loved snack, enjoyed by people of all ages, and is sure to be a hit with your family and friends.