Cauliflower Cheese Recipe is a comforting, cheesy dish that’s easy to make and perfect as a side dish or a main course. This dish is made by steaming or boiling cauliflower florets, and then coating them with a rich and creamy cheese sauce made from milk, butter, flour, and grated cheddar cheese. Once the cauliflower is coated in the sauce, it is then baked until the top is golden and bubbly. The dish is rich and savory, with the tender cauliflower florets complementing the tangy and cheesy sauce. It’s a popular comfort food, often eaten in the UK as a side dish or sometimes as a main dish. Some variations can also top with breadcrumbs or grated parmesan cheese to give some crispiness.
Here’s a recipe for a simple and delicious strawberry banana smoothie Recipe
Cauliflower Cheese Recipe Ingredients
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
- 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Optional: breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese for topping
Read also: The best apple crumble recipe
Cauliflower Cheese Recipe Steps
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Steam or boil the cauliflower florets until they are tender, then drain them and place them in a baking dish.
- In a separate saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the flour and stir for 1-2 minutes to make a roux.
- Slowly pour in the milk, whisking constantly to avoid lumps. Bring the mixture to a simmer and continue to stir for a couple of minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and stir in the grated cheddar cheese until it is melted and fully incorporated. Season the sauce with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the cauliflower florets in the baking dish, making sure to coat the cauliflower evenly.
- If desired, sprinkle breadcrumbs and grated Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake the cauliflower cheese in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden and bubbly.
- Let it cool down for 5 minutes before serving.
You can serve Cauliflower Cheese as a side dish with meat or fish, or as a main course with a salad or some bread. You can also customize the recipe with other types of cheese or herbs to add a different twist to the recipe.
Cauliflower Cheese Recipe Nutrition
The nutritional value of Cauliflower Cheese Recipe will vary depending on the specific ingredients and serving size used in the recipe.
Typically, a serving of Cauliflower Cheese will be high in calories, fat and sodium, due to the use of milk, butter, and cheese in the recipe. The cauliflower used in the recipe provides some vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin C, Vitamin K and folate but the calorie and sodium content come mainly from cheese and milk, so it should be consumed in moderation.
It is important to note that you can also make adjustments to the recipe, like using low-fat milk or reduced-fat cheese, to lower the calorie and fat content, but it may change the taste.
As always it is good to be aware of the serving size and nutritional content of the dishes that we eat, to make sure it fits within our overall healthy diet.
Cauliflower Cheese Recipe is a classic and comforting dish that is easy to make and versatile enough to be enjoyed as a side dish or a main course. It is made by steaming or boiling cauliflower florets and then covering them with a rich and creamy cheese sauce made from milk, butter, flour, and grated cheddar cheese. The dish is then baked until the top is golden and bubbly, resulting in a dish that is rich, savory, and full of flavor.
It’s a simple recipe that can be easily customized with different types of cheese or herbs to add a different twist to the recipe. However, it should be consumed in moderation as it can be high in calories, fat, and sodium.
It is also possible to lower the calorie and fat content by using low-fat milk or reduced-fat cheese, but it’s important to note that the taste and texture may be different.
Leave a Reply