Channa Masala is a popular Indian dish made with chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans or channa) simmered in a spicy tomato-based sauce. The dish is seasoned with a mixture of spices, including coriander, cumin, turmeric, garam masala, paprika, and dried mango powder. The end result is a hearty and flavorful vegetarian dish that is often served with naan bread or rice. Channa Masala is a staple of Indian cuisine and is loved for its bold and aromatic flavors, as well as its nutritious and filling qualities.
Here’s a recipe for a simple and delicious Channa Masala Recipe
Channa Masala Recipe Ingredients
- 2 cups chickpeas, soaked overnight and drained
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp amchur (dried mango powder)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
Read also: Butter naan Recipe
Channa Masala Recipe Steps
- In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ginger and cook until softened and lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the coriander powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, garam masala, paprika, amchur, and salt and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they are soft and starting to break down, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chickpeas and 1/2 cup of water and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and let the channa masala simmer for 15-20 minutes, until the sauce has thickened and the chickpeas are tender.
- Stir in the lemon juice and remove from heat.
- Serve hot with fresh cilantro and naan bread, if desired.
- Enjoy your homemade Channa Masala
Channa Masala Recipe Nutrition
One serving of Channa Masala Recipe (approximately 1 cup) contains the following nutrients:
- Calories: about 250-300
- Protein: about 12-15 grams
- Fat: about 10-15 grams
- Carbohydrates: about 30-40 grams
- Fiber: about 10-12 grams
- Iron: about 3-4 milligrams
- Calcium: about 100-150 milligrams
- Vitamin C: about 10-15 milligrams
Channa Masala is a nutritious dish that is high in protein, fiber, and essential minerals. It is also relatively low in fat and contains a good amount of vitamins and minerals, making it a healthy choice for vegetarians and vegans. However, like many Indian dishes, it can be high in sodium, so it is best to enjoy Channa Masala in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
In conclusion, Channa Masala Recipe is a delicious and nutritious dish that is popular in Indian cuisine. It is made with chickpeas simmered in a spicy tomato-based sauce and seasoned with a blend of spices, including coriander, cumin, turmeric, garam masala, paprika, and dried mango powder. With its bold and aromatic flavors, Channa Masala is a hearty and filling dish that is high in protein, fiber, and essential minerals. It is a great choice for vegetarians and vegans, but should be enjoyed in moderation due to its relatively high sodium content. With its combination of flavor, nutrition, and versatility, Channa Masala is a dish that is sure to become a staple in your kitchen.