Chettinad Biryani Recipe is a popular South Indian dish known for its bold and spicy flavors. It is a variation of biryani, a mixed rice dish that originated in the Indian subcontinent. Chettinad biryani is typically made with basmati rice and boneless chicken that is cooked in a spicy masala made from a blend of fragrant spices and herbs. The dish is known for its complex flavor profile, which is achieved by using a unique combination of spices such as fennel seeds, coriander powder, cumin powder, and garam masala, among others. The masala is mixed with yogurt, mint, and coriander leaves to create a rich and flavorful sauce that coats the chicken and infuses the rice with its spicy and aromatic notes. The dish is typically garnished with fried onions and served with raita and/or papadum. Chettinad biryani is a satisfying and hearty meal that is perfect for sharing with family and friends, and is a must-try for those who love bold and spicy flavors.
Here’s a recipe for a simple and delicious Chettinad Biryani Recipe
Chettinad Biryani Recipe Ingredients
- 2 cups basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 500g boneless chicken, cut into small pieces
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 tomatoes, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, slit lengthwise
- 1/4 cup yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 2 teaspoons ginger garlic paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, for cooking
- Water, as needed
Read also: Chicken Cutlet Recipe
Chettinad Biryani Recipe Steps
- In a large pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add the rice and cook until it is about 75% done. Drain the water and set the rice aside.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and fennel seeds and fry until they start to splutter.
- Add the onions and green chilies and sauté until the onions are translucent.
- Add the ginger garlic paste and sauté for another minute.
- Add the chicken and sauté until it is browned on all sides.
- Add the tomatoes and cook until they are soft and mushy.
- Add the coriander powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala. Mix well to combine all the spices.
- Add the yogurt, mint leaves, and coriander leaves. Mix well to combine.
- Add salt to taste, and cook for another 5-7 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the gravy has thickened.
- In a separate pot or large skillet, spread a layer of rice on the bottom. Add a layer of the chicken mixture on top of the rice. Repeat this process until all the rice and chicken is used up.
- Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and cook over low heat for about 10-15 minutes, until the rice is fully cooked and the flavors have melded together.
- Serve hot with raita and/or papadum.
Chettinad Biryani Recipe Nutrition
Here’s the estimated nutrition information for one serving of Chettinad Biryani Recipe, based on the recipe provided (assuming 4 servings total):
- Calories: 551
- Protein: 29g
- Fat: 11g
- Carbohydrates: 86g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 256mg
The nutrition information may vary based on the specific ingredients and quantities used. This recipe is relatively high in carbohydrates and lower in fat, making it a good source of energy for active individuals. However, if you’re watching your calorie or carbohydrate intake, you may want to adjust the serving size or the ingredients accordingly.
Chettinad Biryani Recipe is a delicious and flavorful South Indian dish that is perfect for those who love spicy and aromatic flavors. While the recipe can be high in carbohydrates, it is also a good source of protein and fiber, and can be adjusted to fit a variety of dietary needs. When enjoyed in moderation and as part of a balanced diet, Chettinad Biryani can be a healthy and satisfying meal.