Chicken Chettinad Gravy Recipe is a popular and spicy South Indian dish that originated in the Chettinad region of Tamil Nadu. It is a flavorful chicken curry that is made using a blend of traditional Indian spices and ingredients. The dish is known for its distinct flavor and aroma that comes from the use of freshly ground Chettinad masala, which is a spice mix made from a combination of various spices like coriander seeds, cumin seeds, fennel seeds, black pepper, poppy seeds, and dry red chillies. To prepare the dish, chicken is first marinated in a blend of spices and then cooked in a thick, aromatic gravy that is made with a base of sautéed onions, tomatoes, and green chillies. The Chettinad masala is then added to the gravy, which gives the dish its unique and spicy flavor. The dish is typically garnished with fresh coriander leaves and served with steaming hot rice or roti. Overall, Chicken Chettinad Gravy is a delicious and aromatic dish that is perfect for anyone who enjoys spicy and flavorful Indian cuisine.
Here’s a recipe for a simple and delicious Chicken Chettinad Gravy Recipe
Chicken Chettinad Gravy Recipe Ingredients
- 500g chicken, cut into small pieces
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 green chilies, slit
- 1-inch ginger, finely chopped
- 5-6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- Salt, to taste
- For the spice paste:
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 10-12 black peppercorns
- 4-5 dry red chilies
- 1-inch cinnamon stick
- 4-5 cloves
- 4-5 cardamom pods
- 2 tbsp grated coconut
- 1/2 cup water
Read also: Baked Fish Recipe
Chicken Chettinad Gravy Recipe Steps
- Dry roast all the ingredients for the Chettinad masala in a pan until fragrant. Grind them into a fine powder using a mixer or a mortar and pestle.
- Heat oil in a pan, add fennel seeds and let them splutter.
- Add chopped onions and green chillies, sauté until onions turn golden brown.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and sauté for a minute.
- Add chopped tomatoes and sauté until they turn mushy.
- Add chicken pieces, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, red chilli powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Cover the pan and let the chicken cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes until it is tender and cooked through.
- Add the Chettinad masala, garam masala powder, and black pepper powder. Mix well and cook for a few more minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or roti.
- Enjoy your spicy and flavorful Chicken Chettinad Gravy
Chicken Chettinad Gravy Recipe Nutrition
Here’s the approximate nutrition information for Chicken Chettinad Gravy Recipe per serving (based on a recipe that serves 4):
Calories: 375 Protein: 28g Fat: 22g Carbohydrates: 17g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 7g Sodium: 670mg
Please note that this is an estimate and may vary depending on the specific ingredients used and the serving size. Also, the nutrition information may be affected by the method of cooking and the amount of oil used in the recipe.
In conclusion, Chicken Chettinad Gravy Recipe is a spicy and flavorful dish that is loved by many. The dish originated in the Chettinad region of Tamil Nadu, and is known for its use of a blend of traditional Indian spices, including the signature Chettinad masala. The dish is made by marinating chicken in a blend of spices, cooking it in a thick and aromatic gravy made with a base of sautéed onions and tomatoes, and adding the Chettinad masala for its unique and spicy flavor. It is typically served with rice or roti and garnished with fresh coriander leaves. While the exact nutrition information may vary depending on the specific ingredients used, this dish can be a great source of protein and fiber.