Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe is a traditional Indian dish that is made by layering rice and spiced chicken in a pot and cooking it over a low flame. It is known for its fragrant spices, tender chicken, and fluffy rice. The dish is made in multiple steps, including marinating the chicken in a blend of spices, frying onions and whole spices, cooking the chicken with mint and coriander leaves, and layering the chicken and rice in a pot with saffron, ghee, and rose water. The cooking process for Chicken Dum Biryani involves slow-cooking the dish with a tight-fitting lid, which allows the flavors and aromas of the spices and chicken to infuse into the rice. The result is a mouth-watering and aromatic dish that is perfect for a special occasion or a family dinner. Chicken Dum Biryani is often served with raita, which is a side dish made with yogurt, vegetables, and spices. The combination of the creamy raita and the spicy biryani creates a perfect balance of flavors. Overall, Chicken Dum Biryani is a delicious and flavorful dish that is loved by many and is a true testament to the rich culinary heritage of India.
Here’s a recipe for a simple and delicious Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe
Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe Ingredients
- For the Chicken Marination:
- 500 grams bone-in chicken, cut into medium pieces
- 1 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon red chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- For the Biryani:
- 2 cups basmati rice, washed and soaked for 30 minutes
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 3 green cardamom pods
- 2 black cardamom pods
- 3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 cup chopped mint leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup fried onions
- Salt to taste
- For the Dum:
- 1/4 cup milk
- A few strands of saffron
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 tablespoon rose water
Read also: Chicken Chettinad Gravy Recipe
Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe Steps
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients for chicken marination. Mix well and marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes.
- In a large pot, bring enough water to boil. Add rice and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Drain the rice and keep aside.
- In another large pot, heat ghee and oil. Add the whole spices (cardamom pods, cloves, cinnamon, and bay leaf) and fry for a minute until fragrant.
- Add sliced onions and fry until they turn golden brown.
- Add chopped tomatoes and sauté until they turn mushy.
- Add the marinated chicken to the pot and mix well. Cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add chopped mint and coriander leaves to the pot and mix well.
- Layer half of the cooked rice over the chicken mixture. Sprinkle some fried onions on top of the rice.
- Layer the remaining rice over the onions. Sprinkle some more fried onions on top.
- Mix saffron strands with milk and pour the mixture over the rice.
- Dot the rice with ghee and rose water.
- Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and cook on low heat for 20-25 minutes until the rice is cooked and the chicken is tender.
- Remove from heat and let the biryani rest for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve hot with raita, pickle, and papad.
- Enjoy your delicious and fragrant Chicken Dum Biryani
Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe Nutrition
Here is the approximate nutrition information for one serving of Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe:
- Calories: 550
- Protein: 28 grams
- Fat: 21 grams
- Carbohydrates: 65 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Sugar: 3 grams
- Sodium: 415 milligrams
Please note that the exact nutrition information may vary depending on the specific ingredients used and the serving size. Additionally, this is an estimate and should be used as a general guide only. Chicken Dum Biryani can be a good source of protein and carbohydrates, but it can also be high in calories and fat due to the use of ghee and oil in the recipe. If you are looking to make this dish healthier, you can try using less oil and ghee, and reducing the amount of fried onions in the recipe.
Chicken Dum Biryani Recipe is a delicious and aromatic Indian dish that is loved by many. This flavorful dish is made by layering rice and spiced chicken in a pot and slow-cooking it with a tight-fitting lid, allowing the flavors and aromas to infuse into the rice. Chicken Dum Biryani is often served with raita, creating a perfect balance of flavors. While Chicken Dum Biryani can be high in calories and fat due to the use of ghee and oil, it can also be a good source of protein and carbohydrates. To make this dish healthier, you can try using less oil and ghee and reducing the amount of fried onions in the recipe. Overall, Chicken Dum Biryani is a delicious and flavorful dish that is perfect for special occasions or a family dinner.