Dal Fry Recipe is a classic Indian dish made from split lentils. It is characterized by its rich, flavorful and aromatic taste, with a slightly thick and soupy texture. The split lentils are cooked with a mixture of spices, including cumin seeds, ginger, garlic, onions, tomatoes, and a blend of different spices like coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and garam masala. The final dish is usually garnished with fresh coriander leaves and served hot with rice or roti. It is a popular dish in Indian households and is known for its simple and satisfying taste.
Here’s a recipe for a simple and delicious Dal Fry Recipe
Dal Fry Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup of split yellow moong dal
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 inch piece of ginger, minced
- 1 green chili, chopped
- 1 tsp of cumin seeds
- 1 tsp of coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of red chili powder
- 1 tsp of garam masala
- 2 tbsp of ghee or oil
- Salt, to taste
- Coriander leaves, for garnish
Read also: Jeera Aloo Recipe
Dal Fry Recipe Steps
- Rinse the split yellow moong dal thoroughly and then soak it in water for 30 minutes.
- In a pressure cooker, add the soaked dal and enough water to cover the dal by 2 inches. Cook for 2-3 whistles on medium heat.
- In a separate pan, heat the ghee or oil over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and minced ginger to the pan and sauté until the onion turns golden brown.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and chopped green chili to the pan and cook until the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Add the coriander powder, turmeric powder, red chili powder, and garam masala to the pan and mix well. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cooked dal along with its cooking water to the pan and bring it to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and let the dal simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until it has thickened to your desired consistency.
- Season the dal with salt, to taste.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with rice or roti.
- Enjoy your delicious and flavorful Dal Fry
Dal Fry Recipe Nutrition
A serving of Dal Fry Recipe typically contains approximately:
- 150-200 calories
- 5-6 grams of protein
- 3-4 grams of fiber
- 10-15 grams of carbohydrates
- 2-3 grams of fat
- Various vitamins and minerals like iron, magnesium, potassium, and vitamins B and C
Keep in mind that the exact nutritional content can vary based on the ingredients used and the portion size.
In conclusion, Dal Fry Recipe is a nutritious and delicious dish that is a staple in Indian cuisine. Made from split lentils, it is a good source of protein, fiber, and various essential vitamins and minerals. It can be easily prepared and is a comforting and satisfying meal that can be enjoyed with rice or roti.