Hyderabadi Egg Dum Biryani Recipe is a flavorful and aromatic dish from the city of Hyderabad in India. It is a variation of the traditional biryani dish, which is typically made with meat, but in this version, boiled eggs are used instead. The dish is made by cooking boiled eggs in a blend of spices, yogurt, and onions, which gives them a deliciously tangy and slightly spicy flavor. The eggs are then layered with fragrant, long-grain basmati rice, which is infused with saffron, ghee, and additional spices. The rice and egg mixture is then sealed in a pot and cooked on low heat, allowing the flavors to meld together and creating a soft and fluffy texture. The result is a mouth-watering and aromatic dish that is perfect for any occasion. Hyderabadi Egg Dum Biryani is typically served with raita, a yogurt-based side dish, and fried onions for added flavor and crunch. It is a popular dish in many parts of India and is enjoyed by people of all ages.
Here’s a recipe for a simple and delicious Hyderabadi Egg Dum Biryani Recipe
Hyderabadi Egg Dum Biryani Recipe Ingredients
- 4 cups basmati rice
- 8 boiled eggs, peeled and sliced in half
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 2 tablespoons ginger garlic paste
- 2 teaspoons red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon ghee
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro leaves
- Fried onions for garnish
Hyderabadi Egg Dum Biryani Recipe Steps
- Soak the basmati rice in water for 30 minutes. Drain the water and set the rice aside.
- In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the sliced onions and sauté until golden brown. Remove the onions and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the ginger garlic paste and sauté for 30 seconds. Add the yogurt, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder, and salt. Mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the boiled eggs to the pot and coat them in the masala mixture. Remove the eggs and set aside.
- In a separate pot, boil 8 cups of water. Add the soaked basmati rice and cook until the rice is 3/4th done. Drain the rice and set aside.
- In a small bowl, soak the saffron threads in milk and set aside.
- In the same pot used for cooking the rice, add a layer of half of the cooked rice. Top with the masala-coated eggs and sprinkle with half of the fried onions, chopped mint leaves, and chopped cilantro leaves.
- Add the remaining rice on top of the eggs and sprinkle with the remaining fried onions, chopped mint leaves, and chopped cilantro leaves.
- Pour the saffron milk and ghee on top of the rice. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and cook on low heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot with raita and fried onions for garnish.
- Enjoy your delicious Hyderabadi Egg Dum Biryan
Hyderabadi Egg Dum Biryani Recipe Nutrition
Here’s an approximate Hyderabadi Egg Dum Biryani Recipe information for one serving (based on a recipe that serves 4):
Calories: 740 Total Fat: 30g Saturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 212mg Sodium: 815mg Total Carbohydrates: 99g Dietary Fiber: 4g Sugar: 6g Protein: 19g
Please note that these values are approximate and may vary based on the specific ingredients and quantities used in the recipe. Additionally, this dish is relatively high in calories and fat due to the use of rice, oil, and ghee. To make it a bit healthier, you could try reducing the amount of oil and ghee used, or swapping out some of the rice for more vegetables or legumes.
In conclusion, Hyderabadi Egg Dum Biryani Recipe is a flavorful and aromatic dish that is popular in many parts of India. It is made by cooking boiled eggs in a blend of spices and layering them with fragrant basmati rice, saffron, ghee, and additional spices. The dish is then sealed in a pot and cooked on low heat, creating a soft and fluffy texture and allowing the flavors to meld together. While this dish is relatively high in calories and fat, there are ways to make it a bit healthier by reducing the amount of oil and ghee used, or incorporating more vegetables or legumes. Overall, Hyderabadi Egg Dum Biryani is a delicious and satisfying meal that is perfect for any occasion.