Jowar Dosa Recipe is a popular Indian dish made from a mixture of jowar flour (sorghum flour) and rice flour, along with urad dal (split black lentils) and spices. The ingredients are combined to form a batter, which is then fermented and cooked on a griddle or pan to make thin and crispy dosas. Jowar Dosas are a staple food in many parts of India and are often served as a breakfast or snack item, accompanied by chutney or sambar. They are a healthy alternative to traditional wheat-based dosas, as jowar flour is high in fiber and protein and is easier to digest for those with gluten sensitivities.
Here’s a recipe for a simple and delicious Jowar Dosa Recipe
Jowar Dosa Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup jowar flour (sorghum flour)
- 1 cup rice flour
- 1/2 cup urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1 tsp salt
- Water, as needed
- Oil or ghee, for cooking
Read also: Sweet Appam Recipe
Jowar Dosa Recipe Steps
- Soak the urad dal in water for 4-5 hours.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the jowar flour, rice flour, and salt.
- Drain the urad dal and grind it into a fine batter using a blender or food processor.
- Mix the urad dal batter into the flour mixture and add water as needed to form a smooth batter.
- Cover the batter and let it ferment for 8-10 hours or overnight.
- Heat a non-stick griddle or pan over medium heat.
- Pour a ladleful of batter onto the griddle and spread it evenly to form a thin, round shape.
- Drizzle oil or ghee around the edges and in the center of the dosa.
- Cook until the edges start to brown and the dosa is crispy.
- Flip the dosa over and cook for another minute.
- Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Serve hot with chutney or sambar.
- Enjoy your delicious and nutritious Jowar Dosas
Jowar Dosa Recipe Nutrition
Jowar Dosa Recipe is a nutritious dish as it is made from a combination of whole grain flours, including jowar flour and rice flour. Some of the key nutritional benefits of Jowar Dosa include:
- Fiber: Jowar flour is rich in fiber, which is important for digestive health and keeping you feeling full for longer.
- Protein: Jowar and urad dal are both good sources of plant-based protein, making Jowar Dosa a good option for vegetarians and vegans.
- Minerals: Jowar flour is a good source of minerals like iron, magnesium, and phosphorus, which are essential for overall health and wellness.
- Low in Fat: Unlike many other traditional Indian dishes, Jowar Dosa is relatively low in fat, making it a healthy option for those who are looking to manage their weight.
- Gluten-free: Jowar flour is gluten-free, making Jowar Dosa a suitable option for people with celiac disease or gluten sensitivities.
It’s important to note that the nutritional content of Jowar Dosa may vary depending on the ingredients used, cooking methods, and portion size. To ensure that Jowar Dosa fits within your overall healthy diet, it’s a good idea to pair it with other nutritious ingredients and to keep portion sizes in mind.
In conclusion, Jowar Dosa Recipe is a healthy and delicious dish that can be a good addition to a balanced diet. It is made with whole grain flours, including jowar flour and rice flour, and is a good source of fiber, protein, minerals, and is relatively low in fat. Additionally, it is gluten-free, making it a suitable option for those with celiac disease or gluten sensitivities. To ensure that Jowar Dosa fits within your overall healthy diet, it’s a good idea to pair it with other nutritious ingredients and to keep portion sizes in mind.