Jowar Upma Recipe is a popular dish in Indian cuisine made from jowar (sorghum) grits. It is a savory breakfast dish that is quick and easy to make. The grits are cooked with water and salt and then mixed with a flavorful tempering of mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, asafoetida, turmeric powder, green chilies, and grated coconut. The dish is typically served hot and garnished with fresh cilantro. It is a gluten-free, nutritious and delicious dish that can be enjoyed by people of all ages.
Here’s a recipe for a simple and delicious Jowar Upma Recipe
Jowar Upma Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup jowar (sorghum) grits
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon urad dal (split black lentils)
- 1 teaspoon chana dal (split Bengal gram)
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh coconut, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, finely chopped
Read also: Tutti Frutti Cake Recipe
Jowar Upma Recipe Steps
- Rinse the jowar grits in a fine mesh strainer under running water until the water runs clear.
- In a pot, bring the water to a boil and add the jowar grits and salt.
- Reduce the heat to low and stir the grits continuously until they are cooked and the water is absorbed. This should take about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the pot from heat and let the grits cool for a few minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds and let them crackle.
- Add the urad dal and chana dal, and fry until golden brown.
- Add the asafoetida and turmeric powder, and stir for a few seconds.
- Add the green chilies and sauté for a minute.
- Add the cooked jowar grits and mix well.
- Add the coconut and cilantro, and mix well.
- Serve hot.
Enjoy your Jowar Upma
Jowar Upma Recipe Nutrition
Jowar Upma Recipe is a nutritious dish that is high in fiber and protein. One serving of Jowar Upma (100g) contains the following nutrients:
- Calories: 156
- Protein: 3.9g
- Fiber: 3.2g
- Fat: 3.4g
- Carbohydrates: 29g
Jowar is a good source of minerals such as magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium. It also contains small amounts of vitamins and minerals like zinc, iron, and vitamin B6.
Additionally, Jowar is gluten-free, making it a suitable option for people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance.
Please note that the nutritional value may vary depending on the ingredients and the quantity used in the recipe.
In conclusion, Jowar Upma Recipe is a delicious and nutritious dish that is popular in Indian cuisine. It is made from jowar (sorghum) grits and flavored with a variety of spices and seasonings. Jowar is a gluten-free grain that is high in fiber and protein, making Jowar Upma a healthy and satisfying dish. It is a simple dish to prepare and can be enjoyed as a breakfast or brunch option. It is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed by people of all ages and dietary restrictions.
Leave a Reply