Karnataka Style Poha Recipe is a traditional dish from the Indian state of Karnataka that is made with flattened rice (poha). It is a simple and flavorful dish that can be enjoyed for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The poha is first softened by washing it in water, and then sautéed with a mix of spices, vegetables, and seasonings to create a delicious and nutritious dish. The dish is typically made with onions, tomatoes, potatoes, green chilies, mustard seeds, chana dal, urad dal, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, and lemon juice. The addition of sugar and lemon juice adds a touch of sweetness and tanginess to the dish, while the garnishing of fresh cilantro adds a pop of color and flavor. Karnataka Style Poha is a quick and easy meal that is loved by people of all ages, and is a staple in many households in Karnataka.
Here’s a recipe for a simple and delicious Karnataka Style Poha Recipe
Karnataka Style Poha Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup poha (flattened rice)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon chana dal
- 1/2 teaspoon urad dal
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Lemon juice to taste
- Fresh cilantro for garnishing
Read also: Curd Poha Recipe
Karnataka Style Poha Recipe Steps
- Wash the poha in a colander under running water until it is soft and fluffy. Set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the oil over medium heat.
- Add the mustard seeds and let them pop.
- Add the chana dal, urad dal, and cumin seeds. Fry until they are golden brown.
- Add the chopped onions and green chilies. Fry until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and turmeric powder. Cook until the tomatoes are soft and the mixture is well combined.
- Add the chopped potatoes and salt. Cook until the potatoes are soft and tender.
- Add the poha to the pan and gently mix everything together.
- Add sugar and lemon juice to taste.
- Serve the Karnataka Style Poha hot, garnished with fresh cilantro. Enjoy
Karnataka Style Poha Recipe Nutrition
The nutrition content of Karnataka Style Poha Recipe may vary based on the ingredients used and the serving size. However, a typical serving of this dish can provide the following nutrients:
- Energy: Approximately 200-250 calories per serving
- Carbohydrates: Approximately 30-35 grams per serving
- Protein: Approximately 4-5 grams per serving
- Fat: Approximately 10-12 grams per serving
- Fiber: Approximately 2-3 grams per serving
- Vitamin C: Approximately 15% of the daily recommended intake per serving
- Vitamin B6: Approximately 5% of the daily recommended intake per serving
- Iron: Approximately 10% of the daily recommended intake per serving
- Magnesium: Approximately 8% of the daily recommended intake per serving
Note: This information is based on an estimate and may vary based on the ingredients used and the serving size. It is important to consult a nutritionist for a more accurate analysis of the nutritional content of this dish.
In conclusion, Karnataka Style Poha Recipe is a delicious and nutritious dish that is popular in the Indian state of Karnataka. Made with flattened rice, spices, vegetables, and seasonings, it provides a good source of energy, carbohydrates, protein, fiber, and vitamins. The dish is easy to make, and can be enjoyed as a quick and convenient meal any time of day. Whether you’re looking for a tasty breakfast, lunch, or dinner option, Karnataka Style Poha is sure to satisfy your taste buds and keep you feeling full and satisfied.