Khaman Dhokla Recipe is a popular Indian snack food that is made from a mixture of gram flour, yogurt, spices, and herbs. It is steamed, which gives it a fluffy and spongy texture, and is then seasoned with a mixture of spices and herbs. The final product is a light and delicious snack that is typically served with mint chutney or sweet chili sauce. Khaman Dhokla is a staple snack food in the Indian state of Gujarat and is often enjoyed as a light and refreshing snack. It is a vegetarian dish that is easy to make and can be prepared quickly. The combination of gram flour and yogurt gives Khaman Dhokla its unique texture, and the spices and herbs used in the seasoning give it a delicious flavor. It is a popular snack food in India and is often served as a light snack or as a part of a larger meal.
Here’s a recipe for a simple and delicious Khaman Dhokla Recipe
Khaman Dhokla Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup gram flour (besan)
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- a pinch of asafetida (hing)
- a few curry leaves
- 1 tbsp coriander leaves, chopped
Read also: Cheese Balls Recipe
Khaman Dhokla Recipe Steps
- In a bowl, mix together the gram flour, yogurt, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, salt, lemon juice, ginger paste, and green chilies.
- Add water to the mixture, little by little, until the batter has a thick and smooth consistency.
- Grease a dhokla mold with oil and pour the batter into the mold.
- Cover the mold and steam the batter for 10-12 minutes, or until the dhokla has cooked through.
- Once the dhokla has cooked, remove the mold from the steamer and let it cool for a few minutes.
- In a pan, heat the oil and add the mustard seeds, sesame seeds, asafetida, and curry leaves.
- Once the seeds start to splutter, pour the mixture over the dhokla.
- Sprinkle coriander leaves over the dhokla and cut into squares or diamonds.
- Serve Khaman Dhokla warm, with mint chutney or sweet chili sauce.
Khaman Dhokla Recipe Nutrition
The nutritional value of Khaman Dhokla Recipe depends on the ingredients and recipe used to make it. However, gram flour, yogurt, and spices are the main ingredients in Khaman Dhokla, and they provide the following nutrients:
- Gram flour: Gram flour is high in protein and fiber, and is a good source of iron and folate. It is also low in fat and calories.
- Yogurt: Yogurt is a good source of calcium, protein, and probiotics, which are beneficial for gut health. It is also low in fat and calories.
- Spices: Spices such as ginger, green chilies, and curry leaves provide flavor and add nutrition to the dish. For example, ginger is known to have anti-inflammatory properties and is used in Ayurveda to treat digestive issues. Green chilies are a good source of vitamin C and have a low calorie count. Curry leaves contain antioxidants and are a good source of iron, calcium, and vitamin C.
It is important to note that Khaman Dhokla is typically made with oil, which adds to its calorie and fat content. In general, a serving of Khaman Dhokla provides around 100-150 calories and 3-5 g of fat, making it a fairly light snack food. However, the exact nutritional value will depend on the specific recipe used and the serving size. It is recommended to consult a nutritionist for a more accurate analysis of the nutritional value of Khaman Dhokla and to take into account personal dietary needs and restrictions.
In conclusion, Khaman Dhokla Recipe is a delicious and light Indian snack food that is made from a mixture of gram flour, yogurt, and spices. It is a vegetarian dish that is easy to make and can be enjoyed as a light snack or as part of a larger meal. The main ingredients in Khaman Dhokla provide protein, fiber, and various vitamins and minerals, and the spices used in the seasoning add flavor and nutrition to the dish. However, the dish is typically made with oil, which adds to its calorie and fat content. It is important to take into account personal dietary needs and restrictions when considering the nutritional value of Khaman Dhokla, and to consult a nutritionist for a more accurate analysis.