Lamb Shank Roganjosh Recipe is a rich and flavorful Indian dish that is typically made with lamb, yogurt, and a variety of aromatic spices. The lamb is marinated in yogurt and then slowly cooked in a spicy sauce until it is tender and falls off the bone. This dish is known for its deep, complex flavors and is perfect for warming you up on a cold night. The key to making a delicious lamb shank roganjosh is to allow the lamb to marinate in the yogurt for at least a few hours, if not overnight. This helps to tenderize the meat and infuse it with flavor. The spices used in the dish, such as cumin, coriander, and turmeric, add layers of depth and complexity to the dish, while the bay leaves add a subtle earthy flavor. Lamb shank roganjosh is typically served with rice or naan bread, and can be garnished with fresh cilantro leaves. It is a hearty and satisfying dish that is perfect for a special occasion or a comforting family meal. Whether you’re a fan of Indian cuisine or just looking to try something new, lamb shank roganjosh is a dish that is sure to impress.
Here’s a recipe for a simple and delicious Lamb Shank Roganjosh Recipe
Lamb Shank Roganjosh Recipe Ingredients
- 4 lamb shanks
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 1 tablespoon ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons ghee or clarified butter
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh cilantro leaves, chopped (for garnish)
Read also: Copycat Mcdonalds Big Mac Recipe
Lamb Shank Roganjosh Recipe Steps
- In a large bowl, whisk the yogurt until smooth. Add the lamb shanks and coat them in the yogurt. Let them marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- In a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot, heat the vegetable oil and ghee over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until they are soft and golden brown, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger paste and cook for another 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 2-3 minutes until it has darkened in color.
- Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, paprika, cinnamon, cardamom, and cayenne pepper. Cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the lamb shanks and the marinade to the pot, along with the bay leaves. Stir to coat the lamb in the spice mixture.
- Add enough water to the pot to cover the lamb shanks, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for 2-3 hours, or until the lamb is tender and falling off the bone.
- Once the lamb is cooked, remove the lamb shanks from the pot and set aside. Skim any fat from the surface of the sauce, and cook the sauce over high heat until it has thickened.
- Season the sauce with salt, to taste. Serve the lamb shanks with the sauce, and garnish with chopped cilantro leaves.
- This recipe serves 4 people and can be served with rice or naan bread. Enjoy your delicious lamb shank roganjosh
Lamb Shank Roganjosh Recipe Nutrition
Here is the approximate nutrition information per serving for Lamb Shank Roganjosh Recipe:
- Calories: 530
- Fat: 30g
- Saturated Fat: 10g
- Cholesterol: 150mg
- Sodium: 370mg
- Carbohydrates: 17g
- Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 8g
- Protein: 46g
Note that the nutrition information may vary depending on the specific ingredients used and serving sizes. Additionally, this dish is relatively high in fat, but the fat comes from healthy sources such as the lamb and yogurt. Overall, Lamb Shank Roganjosh can be a nutritious and satisfying meal when enjoyed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
In summary, Lamb Shank Roganjosh Recipe is a flavorful and satisfying dish made with lamb shanks, onions, garlic, ginger, and a variety of spices. This recipe includes approximately 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil, 1 large onion, 3 garlic cloves, 2 teaspoons each of cumin and coriander, 1 teaspoon of turmeric, 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne pepper, 2 tablespoons of tomato paste, 2 cups of water, 1/2 cup of plain yogurt, salt to taste, and chopped fresh cilantro for garnish. While exact nutrition information may vary depending on specific ingredients used and serving sizes, Lamb Shank Roganjosh can be a good source of protein, healthy fats, and various vitamins and minerals.