Lemon drizzle cake Recipe is a classic British dessert that features a moist, lemon-flavored sponge cake topped with a sweet, lemony icing. The cake is made with butter, sugar, eggs, self-raising flour, baking powder, grated lemon zest, fresh lemon juice, and milk. The cake batter is simple to make, and is flavored with the zest and juice of fresh lemons, giving it a tangy and aromatic taste. The cake is baked in the oven until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Once the cake is cooled it is pricked with a skewer on top and a lemon drizzle mixture of icing sugar and lemon juice is poured over it, giving it a sweet, tangy glaze. The cake is traditionally served in slices, it can be enjoyed plain or with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Here’s a recipe for a simple and delicious Lemon drizzle cake Recipe
Lemon drizzle cake Recipe Ingredients
- 225g (8 oz) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 225g (8 oz) caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 225g (8 oz) self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp grated lemon zest
- 100ml (3.5 fl oz) fresh lemon juice
- 4 tbsp milk
Lemon drizzle cake Recipe Steps
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan, 350°F, gas mark 4). Grease and line a 20cm (8 inch) square cake tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together 225g (8 oz) of unsalted butter and 225g (8 oz) of caster sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in 4 eggs one at a time, ensuring each one is fully incorporated before adding the next.
- In a separate bowl, sift together 225g (8 oz) of self-raising flour and 2 tsp of baking powder.
- Fold the flour mixture, 2 tbsp of grated lemon zest, and 100ml (3.5 fl oz) of fresh lemon juice into the butter mixture, and finally mix in 4 tbsp of milk.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake tin and smooth the top.
- Bake the cake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
- To make the lemon drizzle, mix 100g (3.5 oz) of icing sugar and 2 tbsp of fresh lemon juice together in a small bowl.
- Prick the top of the cooled cake all over with a skewer and spoon the lemon drizzle over the top, allowing it to seep into the holes.
- Leave the cake to cool completely in the tin before removing it and slicing.
The cake is now ready to serve and enjoy the sweet and tangy flavor of lemon drizzle cake.
Lemon drizzle cake Recipe Nutrition
The nutrition information for Lemon drizzle cake Recipe will vary depending on the recipe and serving size, but a basic recipe made with the ingredients listed above would have the following nutritional information per serving (based on 12 servings per recipe):
- Calories: 327
- Total fat: 18g
- Saturated fat: 11g
- Cholesterol: 110mg
- Sodium: 168mg
- Total carbohydrates: 39g
- Dietary fiber: 1g
- Sugar: 24g
- Protein: 4g
This recipe for lemon drizzle cake is high in calories and fat, particularly saturated fat, and sugar. The large amount of sugar and butter used in the recipe contribute to this. it’s best to be consumed in moderation as a treat, and pair it with a healthy balanced diet, rather than as a regular staple food.
It is also worth noting that this is a rough estimate and nutritional information may vary depending on brands of ingredients used and any variations or substitutions made to the recipe.
In conclusion, Lemon drizzle cake Recipe is a classic British dessert that is simple to make and combines the tangy flavor of fresh lemons with a sweet icing. The recipe calls for basic ingredients such as butter, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder, lemon zest, and lemon juice. The finished cake is a moist, lemon-flavored sponge topped with a sweet, lemony icing.
Keep in mind that this recipe is high in calories and fat, particularly saturated fat, and sugar, it is best to enjoy it as a treat or in moderation. And also it’s a good idea to balance it out with a healthy diet. Making small variations, like using less sugar or substituting some ingredients with low-fat or sugar-free alternatives, can help make the recipe more nutritious.
But overall, lemon drizzle cake is a delicious, easy-to-make dessert that is sure to please anyone with a sweet tooth and a love for lemons.