Medu Vada Recipe is a popular South Indian dish that is traditionally served as a snack or breakfast dish. It is made from a batter of black lentils (urad dal), which is soaked, ground, and mixed with spices such as green chilies, ginger, cilantro, cumin seeds, and salt. The batter is then shaped into small doughnut-like vadas and deep-fried until golden brown. Medu Vada is often accompanied by chutney or sambar, and is known for its crispy exterior and soft, fluffy interior. The dish is popular for its unique and rich flavor and is enjoyed by many people in South India. It is also considered as a traditional and authentic food from South India and is served in many restaurants and street food vendors.
Here’s a recipe for a simple and delicious Medu Vada Recipe
Medu Vada Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup black lentils (urad dal)
- 2-3 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
Read also: Hotel Style Onion Rava Dosa Recipe
Medu Vada Recipe Steps
- Soak the black lentils in water for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Drain the lentils and grind them into a smooth batter using a food processor or grinder.
- Add the green chilies, ginger, cilantro, cumin seeds, and salt to the batter and mix well.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan or kadhai over medium heat.
- Wet your hands and take a small amount of batter, shape it into a small ball and make a hole in the center, similar to a doughnut shape.
- Carefully drop the vada into the hot oil and fry for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown.
- Flip the vada and fry for another 2-3 minutes on the other side.
- Remove the vada from the oil and place them on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Repeat the process for the remaining batter.
- Serve the Medu Vada hot with chutney or sambar.
Note: The consistency of the batter should be thick and not runny. The vadas should be fried on medium heat to ensure they cook evenly and become crispy.
Medu Vada Recipe Nutrition
Medu Vada Recipe is a popular South Indian snack made from black lentils (urad dal) and spices. The nutrition information for medu vada can vary depending on the recipe and method of preparation, but generally it is high in protein and carbohydrates, and moderate in fat. Here’s a rough estimate of the nutrition information for one medu vada (based on a typical recipe with 1/2 cup urad dal and 1/4 cup onions):
Calories: 150 Protein: 7g Carbohydrates: 17g Fat: 7g Fiber: 2g Sodium: 50mg
It should be noted that the vada is deep fried which contribute to the high fat content.
In conclusion, Medu Vada Recipe is a high-protein, high-carbohydrate, and moderate-fat South Indian snack made from black lentils and spices. It is a delicious and popular dish, but it should be consumed in moderation due to its high fat content from deep frying. The nutritional values can vary based on the ingredients and preparation method used.