Pav Bhaji Recipe is a popular street food originating from Mumbai, India. It consists of a mixture of spiced vegetables, such as potatoes, tomatoes, peas, capsicum, etc, that are cooked together and mashed into a thick and flavorful stew. The stew is then served with soft bread rolls (pav) that have been lightly toasted and spread with butter. The dish is usually garnished with coriander leaves, lemon wedges, and butter. It is known for its unique flavor and texture, which is a combination of tangy, spicy, and sweet. The dish is loved for its quick preparation time and its ability to be customized according to individual taste preferences.
Here’s a recipe for a simple and delicious Pav Bhaji Recipe
Pav Bhaji Recipe Ingredients
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 medium-sized onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon pav bhaji masala
- 2 medium-sized boiled potatoes, mashed
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped capsicum
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander leaves
- Salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Butter for serving
- 8 pav (bread rolls)
Read also: Corn Curlet Recipe
Pav Bhaji Recipe Steps
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and let them crackle.
- Add chopped onions and minced garlic, and cook until the onions are translucent.
- Add chopped tomatoes and pav bhaji masala, and cook until the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Add mashed potatoes, green peas, chopped carrots, and chopped capsicum, and mix well.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft.
- Mash the mixture with a potato masher or back of a spoon to make a smooth mixture.
- Add chopped coriander leaves, salt, and lemon juice, and mix well.
- Serve hot with pav and a dollop of butter.
Pav Bhaji Recipe Nutrition
Pav Bhaji Recipe is a popular street food in India made with a mixture of mashed vegetables, spices, and served with a soft bread roll called pav. A typical serving of Pav Bhaji (1 plate or 200g) contains approximately:
- Calories: 400-450
- Protein: 12-15g
- Fat: 20-25g
- Carbohydrates: 50-60g
- Fiber: 5-6g
It is high in calories and fat, mainly from the butter and oil used in the dish. The vegetables used in the dish do provide some nutrients, such as fiber, vitamins, and minerals, but the overall nutrition profile is still relatively poor. It is best consumed in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
Pav Bhaji Recipe is a popular street food in India consisting of a spiced vegetable mash served with soft bread rolls. To make pav bhaji, you can sauté onions, ginger, garlic, and tomatoes and then add a mixture of boiled and mashed vegetables like potatoes, carrots, peas, and bell peppers. Finally, the vegetable mash is seasoned with spices such as pav bhaji masala, turmeric, cumin, and coriander, and served with lightly toasted pav (bread rolls). You can top the bhaji with a dollop of butter, chopped onion, and coriander before serving. Enjoy your delicious and flavorful pav bhaji!