Sabudana Khichdi Recipe is a popular Indian dish made with tapioca pearls (also known as sabudana), potato, peanuts, and spices. This dish is often consumed during fasting, as it is light on the stomach and provides a good source of energy. The tapioca pearls are soaked overnight to make them soft and fluffy, then stir-fried with sautéed potatoes, green chilies, and cumin seeds. The dish is seasoned with salt, sugar, and crushed peanuts, and garnished with fresh coriander leaves and lemon juice. Sabudana Khichdi has a unique texture and flavor, with a slightly chewy texture from the tapioca pearls and a mild heat from the green chilies. It can be served as a main dish during fasting or as a light breakfast or snack.
Here’s a recipe for a simple and delicious Sabudana Khichdi Recipe
Sabudana Khichdi Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup sabudana (tapioca pearls)
- 2-3 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1-2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 medium-sized potato, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon roasted peanuts, crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Read also: Chilli Chicken Recipe
Sabudana Khichdi Recipe Steps
- Rinse the sabudana in a fine mesh strainer under cold running water for a few minutes until the water runs clear. Soak the sabudana in enough water to cover it for at least 3-4 hours or overnight until the pearls are soft and fluffy.
- In a large skillet or wok, heat the ghee or vegetable oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and green chilies to the pan and sauté for 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add the cubed potato to the pan and sauté for 5-6 minutes or until the potato is cooked through and slightly browned.
- Add the soaked sabudana to the pan and mix well with the potato.
- Add the salt, sugar, and crushed peanuts to the pan and mix well.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let the mixture cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sabudana is translucent and soft.
- Add the fresh coriander leaves and lemon juice to the pan and mix well.
- Serve hot with yogurt or any chutney of your choice. Enjoy!
- Note: This dish is often consumed during fasting and can be customized to fit your fasting requirements by using ghee instead of oil, and adjusting the spices according to your preferences.
Sabudana Khichdi Recipe Nutrition
Here’s the approximate nutritional information for a serving of Sabudana Khichdi Recipe (assuming 4 servings per recipe):
- Calories: 258
- Protein: 3g
- Fat: 10g
- Carbohydrates: 40g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 3g
- Sodium: 319mg
Please note that these values are only estimates and may vary depending on the specific ingredients and amounts used. Additionally, the nutrition information does not include any sides or accompaniments such as yogurt or chutney that may be served with the sabudana khichdi.
I hope you found the Sabudana Khichdi Recipe recipe and nutrition information helpful! If you have any more questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with, please feel free to ask.