Spicy Chicken and Lentil Stew With Jammy Onions Recipe Fully cooked chicken brings layers of flavor to this fragrant, spicy lentil stew. Topped with fried onions and tomatoes, it is a filling and deeply delicious meal.
- One 3 1/2-pound (1.6kg) chicken
- 1 tablespoon (10g) kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 cup (240ml) extra-virgin olive oil, divided, plus more for drizzling
- 4 medium cloves garlic, minced
- One 1-inch knob fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Large pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds (680g) green, French green (Le Puy), or yellow lentils
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large (10-ounce; 280g) yellow onions, sliced 1/2-inch-thick
- 1 pound (450g) plum tomatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill or cilantro
Steps to make Spicy Chicken and Lentil Stew
1. In a large pot or Dutch oven, combine chicken with enough water to cover. Add 1 tablespoon (10 g) of salt and bring under a simmer (180 ° F / 80 ° C at 180 ° F almost immediately). Cook as best you can to maintain the sub-simmer, until the chicken registers 160 ° F (70 ° C) deep in the thigh, about 45 minutes.
2. Carefully lift the chicken out of the poison liquid, allow it to return to the pat, then transfer to a work surface and allow to cool. Reserve poaching liquid. Clean the pot or Dutch oven.
3. In the same pot or Dutch oven, mix 1/2 cup (120 ml) oil with garlic and ginger and set over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic and ginger slowly begin to sprinkle and begin to turn slightly golden for about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and cook by adding coriander, cumin, turmeric, paprika, black pepper, and black pepper flakes, stirring frequently, until the spices are lightly roasted and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Stir in the lentils, then add just enough of the reserved thirsty broth to cover the lentils. Add bay leaf. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil, then adjust the heat to maintain the boil. Cook, stirring occasionally and adding more poison liquid just to cover the lentils, until the lentils are very tender and just begin to break down, about 1 hour; Use excess water if you let the liquid run out before cooking.
5. While the lentils are cooking, remove the skin from the wiped chicken; If desired, finely chop the chicken skin and add it to the lentils (it will melt in the lentils during cooking and enrich the stew, but you can leave it as you wish). Pull meat from chicken bones and meat; Discard bones.
6. When the lentils are tempered and break down, add chopped chicken and continue cooking, often shaking to prevent sticking and less liquid or water to prevent the lentils from becoming slightly thick and sour. Stirring, stirring and thickening the stew for about 15 minutes more until some pulses are mixed. Discard the bay leaf. Season with salt and keep warm.
7. Meanwhile, in a large 12-inch stainless steel or cast iron pan, heat 1/2 cup (120 ml) oil to high heat until very smoking is done. Add the onion, season with salt, and cook, stirring frequently, until the spots are deeply browned and begin to soften, about 15 minutes; Lower heat as needed to prevent burns. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring frequently, until tomatoes begin to break, about 7 minutes; Reduce heat as needed to prevent burning. Remove from heat, stir in dill or cilanto, and season with salt to taste.
8. Top with ladle dal and onion-tomato mixture in separate serving bowls. Drizzle lightly with olive oil, and serve.
After following these steps, if you are not able to Spicy Chicken and Lentil Stew, do not worry here is a video that will help you.
Also Try This :- Thai Style Salmon Recipe
We hope that now you can make Spicy Chicken and Lentil Stew, please let us know in the comment section if you have any other idea. You can check more recipe for more. Share it with love once and show some love