Sundal Recipe is a popular South Indian snack made from legumes, typically chickpeas, that are cooked and seasoned with a mixture of spices, herbs, and coconut. It is a vegetarian dish that is light and healthy, and is often enjoyed as a snack or as a side dish. The legumes used in Sundal are typically soaked overnight to soften them and then cooked until they are tender. Once cooked, they are mixed with a seasoning mixture that includes mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, red chili pepper, ginger, grated coconut, lemon juice, and salt. The final mixture is then heated until the flavors are well combined and the sundal is hot and fragrant. Sundal is a staple of South Indian cuisine and is often served during festivals and special occasions. It is a delicious and nutritious snack that can be enjoyed on its own or as an accompaniment to a main dish. With its flavorful and simple ingredients, Sundal is a beloved dish in South Indian cuisine and around the world.
Here’s a recipe for a simple and delicious Sundal Recipe
Sundal Recipe Ingredients
- 1 cup of chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 1/2 teaspoon of mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of urad dal
- 1/2 teaspoon of chana dal
- 1 red chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece of ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons of coconut, grated
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Salt, to taste
- Oil, for cooking
Read also: Chana Dosa Recipe
Sundal Recipe Steps
- Drain the soaked chickpeas and transfer them to a saucepan. Add enough water to cover the chickpeas and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and let the chickpeas simmer until they are tender, about 20-30 minutes.
- Drain the chickpeas and transfer them to a large mixing bowl.
- In a small frying pan, heat a tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, and red chili pepper, and fry until the seeds start to pop and the dals are golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the fried seasoning mix to the bowl with the chickpeas, along with the grated ginger, grated coconut, lemon juice, and salt to taste. Mix well.
- Transfer the sundal to a serving plate and serve hot or warm.
- Enjoy your delicious and nutritious Sundal
Sundal Recipe Nutrition
A serving of Sundal Recipe can vary in nutritional content based on the ingredients used and portion size, but here is a general idea of the nutrition information for a single serving (1/2 cup) of Sundal made with chickpeas:
Calories: 150-200 Protein: 8-10 g Fat: 5-7 g Carbohydrates: 20-25 g Fiber: 5-6 g Sodium: 200-300 mg
Please note that this information is an estimate and the actual nutritional content may vary depending on the specific ingredients and methods used. If you have specific dietary requirements or concerns, it is always best to consult with a healthcare professional or registered dietitian.
In conclusion, Sundal Recipe is a delicious and nutritious South Indian snack made from legumes, typically chickpeas, that are cooked and seasoned with a mixture of spices, herbs, and coconut. This dish is a good source of protein, fiber, and carbohydrates, and is a light and healthy snack that can be enjoyed on its own or as an accompaniment to a main dish. The nutritional content of Sundal can vary based on the ingredients and preparation methods used, but it can be a healthy and satisfying part of a balanced diet. With its delicious flavor and simple ingredients, Sundal is a beloved snack in South Indian cuisine and around the world.