Thakkali sadam Recipe is a popular South Indian dish made with rice and tomatoes. It is a flavorful and aromatic dish that is easy to make and is a great option for a quick and satisfying meal. The dish is made by cooking Basmati rice with a mixture of spices, including cumin seeds, mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, curry leaves, green chilies, ginger-garlic paste, red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, and salt. The mixture is then cooked with chopped tomatoes and onions to create a flavorful and aromatic dish. Thakkali sadam is often served as a main dish and can be enjoyed with raita or pickle on the side. It is a versatile dish that can be adapted to suit personal preferences, with the ability to adjust the spices and seasonings to create a mild or spicy dish. With its delicious flavor and ease of preparation, Thakkali sadam is a great dish to add to your repertoire and enjoy as part of a satisfying and healthy meal.
Here’s a recipe for a simple and delicious Thakkali sadam Recipe
Thakkali sadam Recipe Ingredients
- 2 cups Basmati rice
- 4 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- 1 tsp chana dal
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 tsp ginger-garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 cups water
- Coriander leaves, for garnishing
Read also: Dondakaya fry Recipe
Thakkali sadam Recipe Steps
- Rinse the Basmati rice and soak it in water for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a pressure cooker over medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds, urad dal, chana dal, and curry leaves. Allow them to splutter.
- Add the chopped onion, green chilies, and ginger-garlic paste and sauté until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until they are soft and mushy.
- Add the red chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, and salt. Mix well.
- Drain the water from the Basmati rice and add it to the pressure cooker.
- Add 2 cups of water and stir to combine.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and cook on high heat for 2-3 whistles.
- Once the pressure has been released, open the lid and fluff the rice with a fork.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
- This recipe serves 4-6 people and can be enjoyed with raita or pickle. You can adjust the spices and seasonings to your taste.
Thakkali sadam Recipe Nutrition
The nutrition information for Thakkali sadam Recipe can vary based on the ingredients used and serving size. On average, a serving of Thakkali sadam (1 cup cooked) can contain the following nutrients:
Calories: 250-300 calories Protein: 4-5 g Fat: 9-10 g Carbohydrates: 45-50 g Fiber: 2-3 g Sodium: 200-300 mg
Thakkali sadam is a good source of carbohydrates, providing the body with energy. It is also a good source of fiber, which is essential for maintaining good digestive health. The dish contains a moderate amount of fat and sodium, and it is important to keep these in moderation as part of a balanced diet.
It is worth noting that the nutritional information can vary based on the ingredients used and the methods of preparation. For example, using brown rice instead of white rice will increase the fiber content, and using less oil in the preparation will reduce the fat content.
In conclusion, Thakkali sadam Recipe is a delicious and flavorful South Indian dish made with rice and tomatoes. It is easy to make and is a great option for a quick and satisfying meal. A serving of Thakkali sadam provides the body with carbohydrates, fiber, and some protein, as well as a moderate amount of fat and sodium. It is important to keep these in moderation as part of a balanced diet. The dish can be adapted to personal preference, with the ability to adjust the spices and seasonings to create a mild or spicy dish. With its delicious flavor and ease of preparation, Thakkali sadam is a great dish to add to your repertoire and enjoy as part of a satisfying and healthy meal.